Monday, August 27, 2012

Water... the stuff of life

It is the summer of 2012.  Most the the U.S. is experiencing a significant drought.  Water is just one of those things that you just don't think about until it's in short supply.  Corn and soybeans are dead in the field in many places.  Ranchers have been forced to sell off their herds because there is nothing to graze on.  We are simply "hosed" without H two O.

Our area has not been hit as hard by the drought.  Fall is coming and the trees are being to turn...  I was thinking about the blessing of water while driving home last evening.    As I crested a hill I could see 12 miles.  There were rolling hills, red barns, white farm houses, corn fields, woods, and in the distance Lake Michigan.  A few wispy clouds floated overhead and some mist was just beginning to rise from the hay fields.  How many water molecules must there be locked in this beautiful scene?  I cannot comprehend a number that big.  A million trillion? I am sure that is way too small.  Most plants are at least 80% water, water vapor is invisible, our bodies are at least 60% water.  Without water there is no reproduction in plants or animals.  Within this seemingly simple molecule is the stuff of life.  I am thankful for water and the great God who sends it.  I ran across this verse a few days after I wrote this...

"But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water."  2 Peter 3:5

No comments:

Post a Comment