Monday, January 25, 2010

Passing the baton....

I have been giving a lot of thought to what is really important in life. I am old enough that most of the older generation has passed away. While I miss them I also realize that I have the opportunity to pick and choose what I carry on to the next generation. What did the older generation leave behind? What things should be deleted and not passed to the next generation? What things should be kept and nurtured for future generations? As I look back on the legacy that was left to me I realize that some of the most meaningful things are very, very simple. To list a few of the positive things that meant a lot:

*phone calls just to see how we were doing
*little hand-made gifts
*cookies
*making a favorite food for a family gathering
*sharing a recipe
*laughing
*doing fun things together like picnics or hot dog roasts

How do you carry love forward to the next generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment