Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tightwad

Yes. I admit it. I am very, very frugal.

I will share a story out of my life. My oldest daughter is very artistic. For her 24th birthday she wanted the whole family to go to a ceramic shop and have each family member paint and glaze a cereal bowl for her. I must admit that I complained about how much this was going to cost and even tried to talk her out of such an expensive birthday treat. In the end I agreed and begrudgingly paid the bill.

As it turned out we had a fantastic afternoon as we painted and laughed together. I apologized to my daughter for complaining about how much it cost and told her it was a great birthday party.
The bowls turned out beautifully and she has a special bowl that reflects each family member's personality.

Two months later...
An uncle who attended the party passed away very unexpectedly at age 53. I almost missed making a very special family memory because I didn't want to spend the money. I am reminded of the story of the woman who poured the expensive perfume on Jesus' feet. She was rebuked by some of the disciples for wasting money that could be used to help the poor. Jesus replied " Leave her alone, Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me." Mark 14:6-7

Every day is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment