Friday, August 26, 2011

Money...Rule Number One!



Don't lose it!
Well... obviously you say. But there are lots of ways to lose your money. Let me mention a few...
1. Shopping. Don't buy stuff you don't need.
2. Bad business ideas. I once had a on-line toy store. I got out before I lost too much money but I learned carrying an inventory of any kind is really a crap shoot. Just because you think it is a cool item does not mean it's gonna sell.
3. Bad business partner. Does your business partner like to spend money? Is your business partner less conservative with money than you are? If you answer yes to either of these RUN!
4. Bad business partner part two... does you business partner desperately need your/our money? If you answer yes to this one RUN faster.
5.Risky investments. Do your homework. Understand what you are investing in.
6. Dishonest financial "advisor". That's what FINRA is for. Look them up!
7. Unqualified financial "advisor". I know one financial advisor that invests for smart engineers. The "advisor"never went to college, operated his "financial services" for ten years without being licensed. I personally knew the guy and wouldn't have trusted him to handle taking care of my dog let alone my money. Repeat ... look them up on FINRA.
8. Dishonest doctors or other service people. I once went to a podiatrist... found him on the Internet. Great web site. He charged me over $1200 for two office calls and three x-rays (I think he had a fake machine because I never saw the x-rays). THEN I got smart and googled the guy. He had been circuit court numerous times (mostly for his billing practices). I payed the bill (ouch!) and got out before he found something else to charge me for. My feet still hurt too!
9. Dishonest employees. Google them too.
10. Waste eliminate this as much as possible. Eat leftovers. Return items that do not meet your needs.
11. Guard your identity. Don't put your social security number on job applications until your are hired. Remember piles of applications lay on people's desks and anyone that works there could potentially lift your social security number.
12. Don't eat out or visit Starbucks very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment